Request An Attorney Consultation:

Your options in enforcing Texas child support

If you are a custodial parent, it is likely that you are financially dependent on child support payments to some extent. The payments that you receive from the other parent will help you to pay for your child's food, shelter, child care and extra-curricular activities. If you have not been receiving child support payments recently, you may be feeling angry or distressed about this issue.

The state of Texas takes child support enforcement very seriously, because it recognizes the impact that missed payments can have on families. There are many options for parents who are suffering financially due to delinquent payments.

What should I do when my child support payments are overdue?

When you first realize that you have not been paid what you are owed in child support, you may want to communicate with the other parent to attempt to understand the situation. If this is not possible or not appropriate, you can take action by filing a Child Support Complaint Form.

How can delinquent payments be enforced?

There are several ways that the Texas courts attempt to enforce delinquent child support payments. The action that is taken will be decided by a judge on a case-by-case basis.

Child support tends to be most commonly enforced through the process of wage garnishment, which means that the amount owed will be deducted from the parent's wages before they get paid. It is also possible for federal income tax to be intercepted in order to gain the funds owed.

Key licenses can also be suspended as a punishment for delinquent child support payments. It can be possible for a drivers' license to be suspended when more than three months of child support is owed, and when the parent is not complying with the repayment schedule that was put in place.

Can I enforce child support if the parent leaves Texas?

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) makes it possible for child support to be enforced across states.

If you are struggling because of delinquent child support payments, you should make sure that the Texas courts are helping you to enforce the support owed. By taking swift action, you may be successful in claiming back the money needed to serve the best interests of your children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Icon Short Form

Talk To An Experienced Attorney Today

For more information or to request a consultation, call 713-955-3102 or complete our simple contact form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Visit Our Offices In Houston, Midland, San Antonio, and Austin

Houston Office
2900 North Loop West
Suite 400
Houston, TX 77092

Phone: (713) 955-3102
Fax: (281) 751-3209
Map & Directions

Midland Office
415 West Wall Street
Suite 1000
Midland, TX 79701

Phone: (432) 247-3254
Map & Directions

San Antonio Office
227 N. Loop 1604 E.
Suite 130
San Antonio, TX 78232

Phone: (713) 955-3102
Fax: (281) 751-3209
Map & Directions

Austin Office
3800 North Lamar Blvd.
Suite 200
Austin, TX 78756

Phone: (512) 599-8501
Fax: (281) 751-3209
Map & Directions

Office Map Houston
Office Map Midland

Follow / Review Us

Perry, Shields, Campbell & Floyd PLLC BBB Business Review
US map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.